Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cam Can Swim!

One of those proud mama moments happened while we were on our family vacation at Amelia Island. Cam started swimming!  Coincidentally, he did it in the same pool where I learned to dive many years before.  We were on our typical routine of beach/pool/rest.  As we were coming up from the ocean, I realized I forgot to bring the "shark" life-jacket/floatie combo down with us. (Hard to imagine that was possible considering I had everything imaginable in my bag!)  I didn't say anything about it, but decided when he wanted to get in to the pool, I would just tell him them.  So, he went to get in and said, "Hey, where's my shark?"  I told him that I left it and that it would be fine for him to get in without it. He said, "Maybe I can swim.  Let me try."  So, he did his first attempt and quickly went under without the support he had become used to from his shark.  Wiping his wide, fearful eyes he said, "I can't swim." Luckily, Aunt Laura chimed right in and said, "Cam that was good.  Keep trying.  You can do it."  A little outside encouragement was all it took.  You know if I had said those exact words he wouldn't have bought it at all.  So, he kept trying a few more times and we would correct and instruct the best we could.  Then all of the sudden, he just did it.  Face down in the water and little feet just a' kickin!  He swam from the step to my arms that were outstretched.  He came up and his eyes were wide, but this time instead of fear they were filled with accomplishment!  

Loving the spotlight, we called everyone out to see him in action.  He was thrilled to show off his new skill, and we all made a big deal out of it.  In the back of my mind, there was a tiny piece that thought this day may never come.  From being so fearful of the water just last year to swimming like a little shark this year, he has come a long way! 

I felt like I was out of my body watching the events take place.  How could it be that my baby boy was able to swim?  Watching and being a part of all of his preschooler milestones makes me realize just how fast they come. 

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Cam!
    Julie- You make this so fun to read and see. Your family is precious!!! Make sure you count your blessings every day!!

    ReplyDelete