Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Boot

Our last night in our house was filled with boxes- lots of boxes- and a small moving crew who had to help get the giant armoir out. Our strongest friends and family came to help. Maeve was excited to have AB in our nearly empty house. They were running around and Maeve hurt her foot. She kind of skidded on the floor, but didn't skid smoothly. As soon as she hurt it, she knew it was bad. She didn't cry but she hobbled over to me and asked, "Mama, do you still have your crunches? I need them." 

I didn't think much about it until we were enjoying our last bath in the big bathtub. The entire time she was bathing, she kept one hand on her hurting foot. Then she wokeup crying with it the next morning. It was swollen and bruised at this point too. Uh oh.

We decided she should stay home. Tony was already scheduled to stay at home anyway to supervise/assist the movers. Luckily Moo was able to come get the injured girl out of the way. She textedme while I was an hour away at a training, that Maeve wouldn't walk on her foot. She even forfeited outside time! I assured Moo I would take her for an x-Ray as soon as I got back that afternoon. Moo didn't think that she needed to wait, so in all of her grandmother glory, she took her to get it x-rayed. I texted the insurance card and waited anxiously to hear from them.

Buckle fracture! is what her text read! I was a basket case at that point. Not only had I left my husband with the moving responsibilities, but I had also left my broken baby! Extreme mama guilt washed over me. It was a huge distraction to an already emotional day, however. 

The boot has not slowed her down in the least. She even perfected the booted skip! Our three week basement stay will also be booted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment