Friday, December 16, 2011

90 Years Young

Accepting her party guests with lots of stories and smiles


Ninety years ago, on a December day, little Doris Virginia Lord was born.  While I don't know what that day was like, I can only imagine that it was calm, and beautiful, and a day full of God's grace.  I have only known her in her role as my Grandmama (aka Granny) and now the great-grandmother of my two and a whole brood of great-grands.   I knew as a little girl that she really loved me...I mean, she let us pick her chinaberries for our mud pies!  I am so glad that I've gotten the chance to see how much she loves and cherishes my little ones.  She will bend over backwards to offer them an ice cream sandwich or to watch them while they play. 
Grandmama with Regina's Grandchildren

Over the last year and half, I have watched her adapt to earth shattering changes as she has adjusted to life without the love of her life.  She not only lost him but with him, she lost all of her familiar, daily routines and much of the independence he provided her.  Although she had to celebrate her 90th milestone without him by her side, she did it with grace and graciousness.  She says, she'll be here as long "as the Good Lord sees fit."  Thank you, Lord, for seeing fit to let me have her for an example for so many years.  Love, love, love my sweet Granny! 

Little Granny with her littlest great-granddaugter

No comments:

Post a Comment