Sunday, October 14, 2012

Happy Fall Y'all!

Nothing makes me happier in fall than taking a few pictures of my "pumpkins" in the beautiful scenery.  After they spent two nights camping on their fall break with Moo and Doo at their beloved Lake Lanier, I whisked them away to a fall farm tucked away off the beaten path.
The perfect seat in the fall

Stair-step boys on an adventure


I could have spent the whole day looking at the unusual pumpkins and gourds.  It was probably a good thing that we were packed down with they boys and all the extra camping luggage or I would have filled my car with cornstalks, mums, and breads and jams!
Granddaddy would have appreciated the beauty in this "ugly" pumpkin....

.....and the unusual shape of this one.

Enjoying the simple things - relaxing in a wagon while picking out her pumpkins

 I think one of the reasons I am drawn to the beauty of fall is because it reminds me of Grandmama and Granddaddy.  They both marveled through the years of the changing of the seasons and found comfort in its constants even when the world around them changed so drastically - technology, telephones, debit cards, automatic engines, satellite tv, email, and internet were things that caused their heads to spin.  But the simplicity and predictability of the seasons was something they could always depend on to be the same.
On the hunt to find the perfect one


Beautiful view - beautiful children!

Granddaddy shared my October birthday and was a lover of nature's beauty in every season.  I remember his showcase of gourds in his backyard.  He collected the most unusual ones.  Going to a farm reminds me of going back in time when life was a little simpler - the kind of life both of them enjoyed. The apples, the homemade breads and jams, put me right there in their simple kind of place.  I know Granny could have whipped up any of these delicacies and made it look so easy.    She loved to see the different colors displayed in the leaves and the scenery.  Perhaps she took her decorating inspiration from the fall backdrop of colors - she had a way of pulling random things together in an artistic kind of way.
They would have laughed at this display
and said that it was modeled after the two of them!  

This year, more than any other, when I don't have either one of them here to physically take me back to the simpler pace of life, I will cling to the memories I have of the many falls with them.  I will enjoy the cooler temperatures as I sit on the porch.  I will drive a little slower so I can see the beauty in the changing of the leaves.  I will treasure the time spent with my family.

1 comment: