Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Second Grade Brigade


Cam is a ham no matter which way you look at it. It's hard to believe that this carefree little boy who jams out in his Jammies with a gorilla mask on is the same one who sweats the small stuff. I am sad that he inherited my anxiety.

It has taken me years to learn to control my  body's reaction to stress. Third grade and sixth grade, not so ironically, the years I went to new schools, were long, long years for my mama and daddy. They worried that I needed to see a child psychiatrist as I carried the weight of the world on my not-so- broad shoulders. Now I consider myself very well adjusted to life and all of its strenuous demands. In fact, I spend a large portion of my days making sure my third graders don't put this same kind of pressure on themselves.

Low and behold, Cam seems to have taken more after me than his footloose and fancy free father. Bless him. I was thinking it was just a stage he was going through right now, an age thing. But as I reflect back over his last eight years, there have been many anxiety ridden events- swimming lessons, Bible school, football camp,  and now children's church. I commented to others before that he really needs a dress rehearsal for life!

I pray that he,too, learns how to get a grip  on the life-stifling fears of his.
I don't want fear to have a grip on him. I want him to grow up loving life and living it to its fullest. Love my Cam Bone!

No comments:

Post a Comment