Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Stump

It was a sad sight at church when the tree was finally removed.  The tree was just as much a part of the church as the building itself.  Now, that it isn't there anymore, something just seems to be missing.  It is very symbolic of all the matriarchs who were the pillars of the church - they were always there, and now they are there no longer.


Just this past Easter, my kiddos posed in front of the great tree.  The one we posed in front of on our wedding day.  Here they are on what is left - the stump.  And that phrase alone makes me think of this:

The Stump thunk that the Skunk stunk, 
but the Skunk thunk that the Stump stunk!  

One of Granddaddy's timeless sayings.  He could rattle it off quicker than I can read it!  I think of all the things that changed in his 90 years.  Hope I can hold on to what it most important and pass down to mine what matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment